Big Sur 2021 Mac elevates the most advanced desktop operating system in the world to a new level of power and beauty. Experience Mac to the fullest with a refined new design. Enjoy the biggest Safari update ever. Discover new features for Maps and Messages. And get even more transparency around your privacy. The developer preview of macOS Big Sur Full Version is now available to Mac Developer Program members.
To help make macOS even better, Apple is also providing a macOS Public Beta Program, which gives customers early access to Big Sur Download free and invites them to try out the release and submit their feedback. Mac users can participate in the Apple Beta Software Program for Big Sur this July and download the final version for free from the Mac App Store this fall.
Big Sur Mac Features:
Big Sur brings a refined new design, powerful controls, and intuitive customization options to the most advanced desktop operating system in the world.
- Updated menu bar – The menu bar is now taller and more translucent, allowing your desktop picture to extend from edge to edge. Words lighten or darken based on the color of your desktop picture. And pull-down menus are larger, with more space between the lines to make everything easier to read.
- New icons for apps – App icons have been redesigned to feel both familiar and fresh. Icons have a uniform shape but retain the stylistic touches and details that give Mac its character.
- Customize Control Center – Add controls for the apps and features you use most, like Accessibility or Battery.
- Pin to menu bar – Drag and pin your favorite menu items to the top of your menu bar for easy one click access.
- Grouped notifications – Notifications are grouped by thread or app. Expand each group to see earlier notifications. You can also disable grouped notifications if you prefer to see them individually.
- Improved performance – Safari was already the fastest desktop browser and now it’s even faster. Safari loads frequently visited sites 50 percent faster on average than Chrome.
- Favicons in tabs – Default tab favicons help you easily identify open tabs at a glance.
- Multiple pinned conversations – You can have up to nine pinned conversations that sync across Messages in iOS, iPadOS, and macOS.
- Group photos – Set an image for your group conversations using a photo, Memoji, or emoji. Group photos are automatically shared with all members of the group.
- Memoji editor – Easily create and edit a Memoji that reflects you. Choose from a wide range of hairstyles, headwear, facial structures, and other features to create one of over a trillion possible combinations.
- Look Around – Explore select cities with an interactive 3D experience that lets you pan 360 degrees and move smoothly through streets.
- Guides – Discover the best places to eat, shop, and explore in cities around the world with Guides created by brands you trust.
- Self-reported privacy practices – Developers self-report their app privacy practices on the App Store.
- Faster updates – Once macOS Big Sur is installed, software updates begin in the background and complete faster than before so it’s easier than ever to keep your Mac up to date and secure.
Big Sur compatible Macs:
- MacBook 2015 and later
- MacBook Air 2013 and later
- MacBook Pro Late 2013 and later
- Mac mini 2014 and later
- iMac 2014 and later
- iMac Pro 2017 and later
- Mac Pro 2013 and later.
- Mac OS X Kodiak, 10.0 (Cheetah), 10.1 (Puma), 10.2 (Jaguar), 10.3 (Panther), 10.4 (Tiger), 10.5 (Leopard), 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion)
- OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.9 (Mavericks), 10.10 (Yosemite), 10.11 (El Capitan)
- macOS 10.12 (Sierra), 10.13 (High Sierra), 10.14 (Mojave), 10.15 (Catalina), 11.0 (Big Sur) and Later Version.
- Supported hardware: Intel or PowerPC Mac.